Sunday, December 13, 2009

America?

So I have had a few lingering thoughts about life and that kind of stuff, I mean I can't help but to think about such things and when you are in another culture it becomes a new window to look at your own culture so to speak. I am constantly made aware of how our American culture radiates around the world or at least to Ghana and other countries like it where the youth are watching movies from the states or even the latest season of Heroes. The thing that troubles me is the same as when I was back home to see a whole culture portrayed in a way that so completely and inaccurately describes what a true American is like. However when Americans go about mocking and acting the way that people do in the movies and music videos then I could be wrong. I know that this is not our culture however and yet it is being passed off to others as being what America is. It is just as troubling to elder in a village who sees a youth wearing his pants down at his knees and sporting chains around his neck, both which cost a substantial amount of money and yet the boy has no job and complains that he is going to move to the city where things are better. Well that was a little rant now wasn't it? The point that I think I was trying to make is that the world sees America through a different set lenses and we wonder how can anyone not like us. Well I know that if everyone was given the chance to actually meet us then yes they would change their minds but as long as Hollywood and the music industry are advertising for us people will continue to think that all Americans are rich, greedy, Godless, and selfish not to say that these people don't exist because they do all over the world. I just like to think that of most of the people I know this hardly does justice in describing an actual American. So now that, that is off my chest I would like to say that I am well and healthy. I am excited about the projects that I will be doing with my community, from building latrines to digging fish ponds. Even the smaller ones like painting a world map at the school to having a HIV AIDS awareness soccer matches. So life is good just as you may have noticed plenty of time to be critical yet anyone who knows me would say that I have always had time for that. So I hope everyone is fine and that life is also good.
Peace, Love, and all that Good stuff,

Austin McCain

No comments:

Post a Comment