Monday, July 4, 2011

Greetings

When I think about how easy it is to just greet someone with either a wave, head nod, shout out, and so forth it says a lot about our culture. I know southern hospitality is well known such that you wave to people passing in a car that you might not even know again this helps to define the character of southerners. So when I look back at the past two years that I have spent in Ghana I can't help but notice that greetings are everything. Not only do I greet the same people three times a day but I ask about their family and work. This goes a long way when I need help from a complete stranger and I greet them in their language as a foreigner they show me the respect that I have given them by helping me in turn. It is not just the greeting but rather how you greet someone that can have a lasting affect. For example when you greet a Chief you humble yourself down remove your shoes and show respect to the authority they have. I would pull my hand back to my chest after shaking hands to show respect to Muslims and really anyone. Then there is the finger snap which if pulled off successfully can gain you the most respect of anyone man or woman in Ghana. A proper snap can grant you access to some of the most private places. My point is that by following a cultural practice and showing that you are understanding can be immensely useful when working with people or just living with others. So try it out next time you meet someone greet them in such a way to show you care ask about their family even if you don't know them see how doors will open for you.

Peace, Love, and all the good stuff

Austin

No comments:

Post a Comment